We had our family over for dinner last night
and gave them each a cupcake with a special color inside that they had to find.
I'm not sure who discovered it first, but there was only 1 color PINK!
That's right TWO girls!!!
We had an ultrasound Friday to find out what we are having (i'm sure it was for more important things but our focus was the gender).
I have had a few posts saved as drafts to post about our upcoming arrival and i'm not sure why I haven't posted them. I have had a lot of people ask me lately to make a post so they can hear more about this fun adventure, so I figured I would make this my official post about this exciting time for us.
Kevin and I did Invitro Fertilization (IVF) during the months of May-July. I guess first I should start with the fact that the only diagnosis doctors could find for me was endometriosis. In January of this last year I saw my OB to get it under control again and the only way to treat it was to operate and burn off the tissue that is causing the problem (which I have done before a few years prior), so the first of February I had that operation and started talking to Kevin about the possibility of undergoing fertility treatments again. In 2005 is when I called it quits with fertility treatments and swore I would never return down this dark and disappointing road. However even though we put our profile back up with our adoption agency I still didn't want to completely rule out ferility treatments again. There was one Sunday morning in March when a less active mom in our ward came in the nursery to help me out and I had just met her for the first time. We began talking and found that our husbands worked for the same company and then she told me how much she loved the health benefits and asked if I agreed and I just thought "yeah I guess it's been good". Then she told me how the insurance paid 100% of IVF for her twin boys and I about jumped through the roof! In the 4.5 years that Kevin and I did fertility treatments (before we got Reese) we had to pay 100% cash for all treatments because there was ZERO coverage. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so as soon as we got home I told Kevin about my conversation and he reassured me that our luck would not run that smooth but I still wanted to try; low and behold 8am Monday morning I confirmed with our insurance that I had the same benefits. It was truely a miracle & blessing!
I knew we had to get on schedule fast with a fertility specialist because we were moving in June. We were given the green light from Dr. Craig (my new hero) and he said he could get it all accomplished just in time. He said I had a 60% chance with IVF which is the best chance we had been given thus far. In April I began rounds of fertility medication. It was the craziest couple of months with my hormones all out of whack. I struggled with the 6 injections I had to do everyday. I was lucky that Kevin was able to do all of them. There is actually a funny story, one night when Kevin was getting home late from school and I had to do 1 injection at exactly 8pm every night, I asked my sweet 2 year old if she could do it for me. She was delighted! It was only in my thigh and I prepped everything and just had her stab me with it and then I could do the rest. What can I say, it's a family effort.
This was my first round of medication all in a 3-4 week period - YUCK!
In May they retrieved all my eggs with a minor little surgery and were able to get 11 little embryos out of the batch. The doctor's policy was to only implant 2 embryos (on any patient), I was a little nervous because I had friends whose doctor would implant 3 or 4 and it still never worked for them. My doctor said that with 2 implanted my chances were 67% so I was at least grateful for the two. They were supposed to implant the embryos on day 5 but my estrogen levels were too high and it would have killed the embryos shortly after implant so my doctor said he would freeze everything and try again the 1st week of July. We ended up scheduling it for July 13th and went back to Arizona for the procedure. We were so excited on July 25th for the first time in 8.5 years to get a positive pregnancy test. I did not take a home pregnancy test because the nurses told me that I could get false results with all the medication I was on so I waited for the blood test and when the nurse called me I didn't even know how to react, I was in shock and then as soon as I hung up the phone I started crying, it was such a great feeling!
We found out a week later at my first ultrasound appt. that the IVF cycle was 100% successful because both embryos took. Kevin was a little nervous about TWINS but I was ready to be the new octomom just to be able to be pregnant (glad now that its not 8). So our little twin girls are fraternal twins. I'm an identical twin so i'm interested to see what these girls are going to look like. We can't wait!! We are so excited!!
I seriously thought this day would never come. 8.5 years (and a lot of money) later we are going to be blessed with TWO babies. We have waited so long and feel so blessed. Reese is so excited to be a big sister and we know she will be a good one. She talks to my belly everyday and always includes them in her prayers. She keeps asking if they are coming out soon but we are only 18 weeks along so we have a long ways to go. We are SO GRATEFUL!!
22 comments:
what an amazing journey Melissa! I can't wait to see lots and lots of pictures! Congrats on your baby girlS!
Seriously, love you guys. You definitely earned this blessing with all your sacrafice, willingness, and faith. Can't wait to meet your little ones in a few months. You're amazing!
Oh Melissa I am so happy for you! I remember when Andrea told me you were pregnant I had tears of joy, and when she told me about TWO BABY GIRLS I was thinking of all the frilly blankets your going to make, all the bows you get to buy, and the double amount of love you will be blessed with when they arrive.
Your journey through this is so inspiring. It shows that if you are faithful and trust in Heavenly Father he will bless you. He never tells us no, just not yet. I am glad you have gotten your dream!!
Melissa what awesome news!!! Congrats to you and your family!
That is such an exciting story. That will be so fun to have two more girls!!
We can wait either, and we are SO Happy for you guys! Love you all and we will see you soon!
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I've been wanting to know what happened but have been to shy to ask.
Congrats on two girls... luckily you know how much fun girls are. We are so happy for you guys. :)
Melissa, I have been thinking of you and Kevin and how you guys are doing. I am so excited for your 2 baby girls. I bet Reese will be the bigest help when they arrive. How are you feeling? Hope everything goes smoothly. You guys deserve it.
Oh you guys, we are so so so so excited for you!! Melissa I was seriously crying when I was reading your post. I just can't even imagine what you two have been through. I can't get over the fact that you are going to have 3 GIRLS!! Reese is going to be the best big sister in the WHOLE world. I can't wait to see them, I hope you come soon after you have them so I can hold both of them. We love and miss you guys.
I couldn't read this without crying. I am so very excited for you and your family. Babies really are just the best. I absolutely LOVED being pregnant. CONGRATS! I am glad that you are able to have this fun adventure.
Oh congratulations! We are so happy for you guys. What a blessing. How awesome is that that insurance paid for everything? It's amazing how everything works out for a reason and all at the right time. Yeah! I can't stop smiling.
We are so happy for you!! What a tremendous blessing.
Melissa,
Thank you for sharing your story! It is so inspiring and gives me hope. I am so excited for you and your two new little ones! Congrats!
Such a cute announcement! I've got my wheels spinning with girl names for you.
My close girlfriend went down this road of Dr. appt. after Dr. appt., money, and did I say money...lots of it and she has two beautiful girls. There is light at the end.....Congrats to you and Kevin. Girls are a ton of fun and Reese will be such a wonderful big sis.
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so excited for you both. That is awesome news!!!
Congrats Melissa! Thanks for sharing your story. I am so excited for you guys. What a blessing this is! Congrats again!!
That is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your story! Congratulations again :)
"for the first time in 8.5 years to get a positive pregnancy test" made me just cry. I love this story. I am so happy for you guys. I can't wait to meet these two little gals.
ps...i'm laughing at Wendy. That is so her to think of names for you! Too many hours in a cube for her!
I'm SO happy for you guys Melissa.It gives me hope that maybe someday I will see a positive test myself; )Congrats again, I'm so glad you guys are expectant parents to be, no one deserves it more; )
I'm so happy for your growing family!
Post a Comment