Thursday, May 5, 2011

Catch-up part 2

1 year old!


I can't believe a year has come and gone. These two little munchkins have brought so much happiness to our family (a few tears) and lots of laughs.



Every time I went in public with the two of them, I was always stopped by tons of people, in 1 store alone I was stopped 13 times, some of which Cortney had to push them around while I used the ladies room and when I came back she looked scared out of her mind. She said a group of elderly people swarmed her and she didn't know what to do.



I would also run into other moms of multiples. They would make themselves known by saying "AWWW good luck", or "UGH I'm so glad mine are 25 now", or shout from across the isle way


"# 1 mom right there!" because they knew how much work twins are. Aside from the extra workload two bundles of joy can create they have also been so much fun. I love love love dressing them alike. I don't care if I'm ruining their individual personalities, we have plenty of time to fix that later. For now it's super fun. I even bought matching outfits for their emergency preparedness backpacks.



This last year has brought some interesting comments from the public. Some people challenged me if I'm really sure they are fraternal twins (umm... yes I'm sure). I ALWAYS get asked if they are 2 boys (those darn headbands they won't wear). One time I corrected a lady and said "no they are both girls" and she said "oh.. but 1 boy and 1 girl is better". Ummm. Ok? and if I only had a nickle for every time someone told me I had my hands full, we could probably fund Kevin's law school, and still afford some fancy family vacations during break. I really don't get offended it's just funny. If half these people only knew the process I went through to get my life this crazy they would probably say "You asked for it" instead.



Anyway...



To celebrate the twins birthday



We had family over for some milk and cookies


Mmmm.. this makes me want to go whip up a batch right now.



Here are the birthday girls in their birthday outfits that I made them.




Saylor with Uncle Mike



Ruby with me


My niece Addy took some good pictures of the twins and put together a photo album as part of her personal progress goals. All these pictures of the party are from her.





The girls weren't too sure of the cake business.




Then they started to dig in






Ta Da!






I don't have their 1 year old stats within arms length and I'm too lazy right now to go get them but here are a few facts about my toddler girls.



Ruby - 21lbs



Saylor - 17.5 lbs I can't remember her height but she is 1/2" taller than Rub



Ruby is very social. She has about 5 words in her vocabulary like Hi!, dada, mama, Saylor, bye-bye. She waves hello and goodbye to everyone. She smiles all the time, she gets into everything. She is more of a momma's girl. She loves to pat the dolls and rock them. She also loves to be outside and playing outside. She will eat any food that is put in front of her. She also barks like a dog every time she sees Reese's stuffed animal dog.



Saylor is VERY shy. She hides her face so no one can see her until she warms up then she might look at you. She is laid back and just likes to sit in your lap and cuddle. She plays with whatever toys Ruby will leave behind. She LOVES the water, and has a small obsession with the bathtub. She seems to be a little picky eater. She doesn't talk much and just points to what she wants. She follows me around everywhere like a little puppy dog.




They love going on walks in the wagon and they are both very good sleepers now. They still sleep about 16 hours in a 24 hour period. Until I got them on a really good schedule we were up what seems like ALL night long. I thought I was going to die.




Everyone with multiples kept telling me to just hang in there until they are 1 year old and it would get a lot easier. I remember on their birthday thinking, "ok this is it, it's going to get easier". well I'm not really sure how much of that is true but I am really loving this stage. They are so fun to play with, and I love watching them learn and grow and discover the world around them. This must be what those parents meant.

3 comments:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! Happy Birthday Saylor!

Allen Family said...

Love all your new posts. Can't believe the twins are 1 already! All your girls are so darling. And for the record, if I had twins I would for sure be dressing them alike!!! Isn't that the fun of it all? :)

Porters said...

So fun! Love their bday pictures and all the fun info. Glad they are doing so well and that you are enjoying them, amidst the craziness. Buying school supplies tonight at Walmart with only my oldest 3 kids, I got asked if I was done or going to have more. When I informed the purple haired, tattooed worker that I have five and the youngest two were at home, she just seemed in shock. I often wonder who some of these people think will be running our world when we're old??? Stick in there on the hard days. You are right, the joy always comes!