Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I first want to wish all my mommy friends and future mommy friends a Happy Mother’s day! This day has such a tender spot in my heart. This morning I had to get up early to get ready and when I was done I walked into the family room to see Kevin in the kitchen making breakfast, and Reese sitting on the floor and as soon as she saw me she shouted “Happy Mother’s day Mommy!” My eyes immediately welled up with tears. I tried to hide them as she jumped up to give me a hug. All morning I have been thinking about the one sweet, beautiful and courageous young woman that chose me to be the mother of her baby. How blessed and grateful I am to Reese’s birthmother who made me a mommy almost 3 years ago. It’s because of her that I get to wake up every morning and be Reese’s mom. I will never forget the tender moment when she handed this sweet baby girl in my arms and kissed her goodbye. It was such a defining moment in my life. I know today has to be such a somber day for her. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t kneel down and thank my heavenly father for her and for my little family. Being a mother is more than I had ever dreamed it would be. I hope for and look forward to the day that we can parent more children. Although it’s challenging at times, it’s the most rewarding job I have ever had.

I want to wish my own Mom a Happy Mothers day! I really think my mom is the best mom anyone could have. She is so creative, thoughtful, spiritual, so easy to talk to and most of all funny. She keeps us laughing all the time. We joke in our family that when my mom passes, we are going to have to hold her funeral in a park because it will be one unreverent and hilarious memorial that no one will want to miss. My mom has taught me to work hard, to be giving, to be honest, friendly, always to lend a helping hand. My mom gives more service than anyone I know. She is always one to take everything on all by herself and she makes her "full plate" look effortless. I can only hope I am half the mom she is. I am so lucky she’s my mom!


I realized I don't have a lot of pictures of my mom, which just proves she was always behind the camera like I now find myself. I will have to work on that!

6 comments:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

Melissa,
What a beautiful tribute to Reese's birth mother- you have truely been blessed with a miracle! And, your mom is one of the funnest people-she makes me smile every time I see her!
Amy-Sue

Sadie Lady said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Your words really are beautiful.

beckfam said...

Beautifully put, Melissa. Tears to my eyes. Thank you for that post, you're amazing!

Meredith E said...

Yep, I cried too.

Allen Family said...

What a sweet post. I think birth mothers are some of the world's strongest people. What a selfless act--giving up your baby so he/she can have a better life. And what a great life you and Kevin are giving Reese. You are a beautiful mother (just like your mom--I loved your words about her too).

Whitney@SomethingBroughtYouHere said...

This was really touching. I started to well up. It is so beautiful how your daughter is such a gift and a blessing and you are a wonderful mom to her!